Holy Cross Chapel

Two hundred twenty-seven years ago, the first Episcopal Church at Stockton, then know as Sandy Hill, was built through the effort of The Rev. John Rosse, who was the rector at All Hallows Parish in Snow Hill.  This "Chapel of the Cross" building was destroyed by fire and its exact location has not been determined.

The present building know as "The Chapel of the Holy Cross" was built during the service of The Rev. Thomas Flower about 1850.  Its construction was possible largely through the efforts of Captain James Holland and the Lindsay family of Lindsayville, the community now known as Klej Grange.


At one time, the chapel had a congregation which drew from Greenbackville, VA to Girdletree.  Services were held until 1943 when they were discontinued due to poor attendance.   In 1951 services resumed twice a month which continued until 1961 when the small membership was combined with All Hallows.

Today, the chapel is opened once a year.  A service of Holy Eucharist is held annually on the Sunday nearest Holy Cross Sunday.  Stockton is 9.5 miles south of Snow Hill on Maryland State Route 12.